How can we help you...

Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit

To qualify for Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit, you must be:

  • On low income, whether benefits or low paid work
  • you (and your partner) don't have more than 16,000 capital or savings, unless you are getting Pension Credit(Guarantee Credit)

They are 'means tested' Benefits - different awards will be granted depending on your personal circumstances.

We will need to see evidence of all of your income and savings in order to complete the calculation. Other adults resident in the property are expected to contribute towards the Rent or Council Tax bill, therefore your Benefit/Reduction may be reduced in order to accommodate this.

Council Tax Bands E-H Relief From April 2017

Scottish Parliament legislation has been introduced to change the Council Tax multipliers in bands E-H. The Council Tax Reduction Scheme has been amended to provide targeted relief from the increase in the multiplier. The maximum relief that can be awarded under this provision is equivalent to the difference between your Council Tax Bill calculated using the old multiplier and the new multiplier. Single person households with net income up to 16,750 and all other households with net income of up to 25,000 and less than 16,000 in savings are eligible to apply for full relief from the increased charge through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

  • Note: Council Tax Reduction is not awarded against Water and Sewerage (Waste Water) elements of the charge - so even if you are entitled to maximum reduction , there will still be an amount to pay.

Benefits Calculator

The Turn 2 Us website offers help for you if you are unemployed and looking for work, on a low income, retired, bringing up children, ill, have a disability or care for someone. They have a Benefits Calculator to work out how much you could claim.

Disclaimer: Aberdeen City Council does not accept any responsibility for the information or advice supplied by the Turn2Us website or Benefit Calculator

How to apply for Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit

Download copies of the relevant form/s from the links below:

Report your Change of circumstances using the link below:

Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit Backdating

It may be possible to backdate your claim for Housing Benefit or application for Council Tax Reduction and pay it from an earlier date if you have good reason for not claiming or applying on time. Please see the Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit Backdating page for more information.

Information we require you to provide

If you are the claimant and payments are being made direct to you:

  1. Your Housing Benefit Reference number
  2. Your Creditor reference (this can be found on the cheque under reference number)
  3. Your National Insurance number (this is for verification only)
  4. Your bank sort code and account number


Please note that if you hold a Post Office Card Account into which your State Benefits are paid, these accounts do not accept BACS payments of Housing Benefit so details of an alternative bank/building society account should be provided.

If you do not have a bank/building society account, please contact the above telephone number or any of the offices below.

If you are the landlord and receiving direct payments of Housing Benefit:

  1. Your Creditor reference number (this can be found on the cheque under reference number or on the landlord payment schedule)
  2. Your tenants Housing Benefit Reference number (this can be found on the landlord payment schedule)
  3. Your bank sort code and account number

Housing Benefit Overpayments

Council Tax and Housing Benefit Fraud

The team of professionally trained investigators are empowered to obtain information from financial institutions such as credit card companies and banks as well as Government Departments and other Local Authorities.  Information can also be sourced from employers, utility companies and Internet providers to name a few.  It is an offence if a data holder refuses to supply information or if they obstruct an authorised investigator in the course of their duties:

Local Housing Allowance

Private Housing Benefit Payment

Private housing benefit payment dates can be found on the Housing Benefit page.

Discretionary Housing Payment

Housing Benefit

If, on receiving notification of Housing Benefit entitlement, you feel that you want to know more about the decision or if you think it is wrong, you should get in touch with the Benefits Section within one month of being notified or we may not be able to consider any dispute. You can either:

  • ask for an explanation
  • ask us to reconsider the decision about your  Housing Benefit. This must be in writing and within one month of the date of the decision.
  • appeal, in writing, against a decision about  your Benefit (this appeal must be made within one month of the date of the decision. )

You may wish to phone us first for a verbal explanation.

Council Tax Reduction

If, on receiving notification of Council Tax Reduction, you feel that you want to know more about the decision or if you think it is wrong, you must get in touch with the Appeals Section within  2 months of the date of the decision about which you are dissatisfied.
You can:

  • Ask for an explanation; or
  • Ask us to review the decision. This must be done in writing and received by the authority within 2 months of the decision about  which you are aggrieved.

If after receiving a review decision from the local authority, you remain dissatisfied you can then seek an independent ruling from the Council Tax Reduction Review panel.

A further review by the Council Tax Reduction Review panel can only be requested after we have carried out an internal review.

The only exception to this is where you do not receive a written response to your initial review, within 2 months of the date of receipt. If this happens, you, or your representative can request an independent ruling from the Council Tax Reduction Review Panel.

An application for further review should be made directly to the Council Tax Reduction Review Panel using the application form which can be found on their CTRRP Website. This should then be returned directly to the panel at :

Council Tax Reduction Review Panel

Europa Building

450 Argyle Street


G2 8LH

Further information on how to see a review is available via the CTRRP Website or by telephoning

0141 302 5840

Or emailing

Data Protection

We may use the information you provide and also the information we collect for Council Tax purposes to help us deliver other council services, if this would make those services more efficient or more effective. We may check the information you provide, or that another organisation provides about you, with other information we hold. We may also give information about you to, or receive it from, other council services or organisations to check the details we hold are accurate, to prevent or detect crime, to protect public funds or for any other legitimate purpose, all as allowed by law. These other organisations can include government departments, other local authorities and private companies. We will not, however, release information about you to anyone outside our own organisation unless the law allows it, and we will always use your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.

A list of Council Services which make use of information collected on Council Tax forms are:

  • Housing Issues eg Housing Repairs, Landlord Registration Scheme
  • Housing Benefits
  • Educational Benefits
  • Free School Meals
  • Accord Card Eligibility
  • Entitlement to Right to Buy your Council House
  • Parking Issues e.g. Penalty Charge Notices, Bus Lane Charge Notices

This authority is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud.

On behalf of the Auditor General for Scotland, Audit Scotland appoints the auditor to audit the accounts of this authority. It is also responsible for carrying out data matching exercises.

Data matching involves comparing computer records held by one body against other computer records held by the same or another body to see how far they match. This is usually personal information.

Computerised data matching allows potentially fraudulent claims and payments to be identified but the inclusion of personal data within a data matching exercise does not mean that any specific individual is under suspicion.

Where a match is found it indicates that there may be an inconsistency that requires further investigation. No assumption can be made as to whether there is fraud, error or other explanation until an investigation is carried out. The exercise can also help bodies to ensure that their records are up to date.

Audit Scotland currently requires us to participate in a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud. We are required to provide particular sets of data to Audit Scotland for matching for each exercise, and these are set out in Audit Scotland's instructions, which can be found at:

The use of data by Audit Scotland in a data matching exercise is carried out with statutory authority, normally under its powers in Part 2A of the Public Finance and Accountability (Scotland) Act 2000. It does not require the consent of the individuals concerned under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Data matching by Audit Scotland is subject to a Code of Practice. This may also be found at:

For further information on Audit Scotland's legal powers and the reasons why it matches particular information, see the full text privacy notice at: or contact Revenues and Benefits, Business Hub 16, Aberdeen City Council, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB.


If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to  Contact Us

Back to the Council Tax and Benefits home page.