How can we help you...

Housing Benefit

To qualify for Housing Benefit, you must be :

  • On a low income, whether benefits or low paid work
  •  You (and your partner) don't have more than 16,000 capital or savings, unless you are getting Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)

Housing Benefit is a  'means tested' Benefit - different awards will be granted depending on your personal circumstances.

We will need to see evidence of all of your income and savings in order to complete the calculation. Other adults resident in the property are expected to contribute towards the Rent, therefore your Benefit may be reduced in order to accommodate this.

Home visits can be arranged for the elderly or disabled

Following the introduction of the Pension Credit on 6th October 2003, the benefit schemes are more generous for people of pensionable age. This means that more people may be eligible for Housing Benefit. If you are of pensionable age and are not in receipt of Housing benefit, now may be the time to apply.

For further information, see the Related Links section below.

Benefits Calculator

The Turn to Us Website offers help for you if you are unemployed and looking for work, on a low income, retired, bringing up children, ill, have a disability or care for someone. They have a Benefits Calculator to work out how much you could claim.

How to apply for Housing Benefit

Download copies of the relevant form/s from the links below:

Claim form for Housing Benefit and/or application for Council Tax Reduction

Change of Circumstances Form for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

Or report your change of circumstances online :

Change of Circumstances Form for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

Housing Benefit Backdating

It may be possible to backdate your claim for Housing Benefit and pay it from an earlier date if you have a good reason for not claiming on time. Please see the Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit Backdating page for more information

Housing Benefit Overpayments

You can pay back Housing Benefit Overpayments using our Housing Benefit Overpayments secure payments facility.

Information we require you to provide

If you are the claimant and payments are being made direct to you:

  1. Your Housing Benefit Reference number
  2. Your Creditor reference (this can be found on the cheque under reference number)
  3. Your National Insurance number (this is for verification only)
  4. Your bank sort code and account number

Please note that if you hold a Post Office Card Account into which your State Benefits are paid, these accounts do not accept BACS payments of Housing Benefit so details of an alternative bank/building society account should be provided.

If you do not have a bank/building society account, please contact the above telephone number or any of the offices below.

If you are the landlord and receiving direct payments of Housing Benefit:

  1. Your Creditor reference number (this can be found on the cheque under reference number or on the landlord payment schedule)
  2. Your tenants Housing Benefit Reference number (this can be found on the landlord payment schedule)
  3. Your bank sort code and account number

Local Housing Allowance


Private Housing Benefit

Aberdeen City Council has adjusted some of the dates in which the Housing Benefit payments are made for non council tenancies. Future housing benefit payments will be made on the following dates:

Period covered                                                       Date of payment

1 - 30 April 2017                                                     28 April 2017

1 - 31 May 2017                                                     31 May 2017

1 - 30 June 2017                                                    30 June 2017

1 - 31 July 2017                                                     28 July 2017

1 - 31 August 2017                                                 31 August 2017

1 - 30 September 2017                                            29 September 2017

1 - 31 October 2017                                                27 October 2017

1 - 30 November 2017                                             30 November 2017

1 - 31 December 2017                                             22 December 2017 *

1 - 31 January 2018                                                31 January 2018

1 - 28 February 2018                                               28 February 2018

1 - 31 March 2018                                                  30 March 2018

*December's payment is paid early due to the festive period.

This change has been made to meet the legislative requirement of payments being made at the end of the Housing Benefit period they relate to.

Payments of Private Housing Benefit are usually made by bank transfer (BACS). This is our preferred method of payment as it is both fast and secure because payments are made via transfer directly into your bank/building society account. This can reduce any delays that may occur with the post or waiting times for cheques to clear.

If you are currently paid by cheque and would like to have your Housing Benefit paid by BACS we will accept your bank details over the telephone. Please call our Customer Contact section on 03000 200 292(lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm ) to arrange for your Housing Benefit to be paid by this method.

Size Criteria - Social Sector

The Benefit Cap


Discretionary Housing Payments


Data Protection

We may use the information you provide and also the information we collect to help us deliver other council services, if this would make those services more efficient or more effective. We may check the information you provide, or that another organisation provides about you, with other information we hold. We may also give information about you to, or receive it from, other council services or organisations to check the details we hold are accurate, to prevent or detect crime, to protect public funds or for any other legitimate purpose, all as allowed by law. These other organisations can include government departments, other local authorities and private companies. We will not, however, release information about you to anyone outside our own organisation unless the law allows it, and we will always use your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.

A list of Council Services which make use of information collected on Council Tax forms are:

  • Housing Issues eg Housing Repairs, Landlord Registration Scheme
  • Housing Benefits
  • Educational Benefits
  • Free School Meals
  • Accord Card Eligibility
  • Entitlement to Right to Buy your Council House
  • Parking Issues e.g. Penalty Charge Notices, Bus Lane Charge Notices

This authority is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud.

On behalf of the Auditor General for Scotland, Audit Scotland appoints the auditor to audit the accounts of this authority. It is also responsible for carrying out data matching exercises.

Data matching involves comparing computer records held by one body against other computer records held by the same or another body to see how far they match. This is usually personal information.

Computerised data matching allows potentially fraudulent claims and payments to be identified but the inclusion of personal data within a data matching exercise does not mean that any specific individual is under suspicion.

Where a match is found it indicates that there may be an inconsistency that requires further investigation. No assumption can be made as to whether there is fraud, error or other explanation until an investigation is carried out. The exercise can also help bodies to ensure that their records are up to date.

Audit Scotland currently requires us to participate in a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud. We are required to provide particular sets of data to Audit Scotland for matching for each exercise, and these are set out in Audit Scotland's instructions, which can be found at:

The use of data by Audit Scotland in a data matching exercise is carried out with statutory authority, normally under its powers in Part 2A of the Public Finance and Accountability (Scotland) Act 2000. It does not require the consent of the individuals concerned under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Data matching by Audit Scotland is subject to a Code of Practice. This may also be found at:

For further information on Audit Scotland's legal powers and the reasons why it matches particular information, see the full text privacy notice at: or contact Revenues and Benefits, Business Hub 16, Aberdeen City Council, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB.

Council Offices

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to Contact Us

Back to the Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit page.