How can we help you...

Getting help to make a complaint

You may be reluctant or unable to make a complaint yourself.  You can ask a friend, relative or advocate to make one for you.

If you would prefer for an advocate to act on your behalf, you can contact the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance for advice on those available in your area.  Please visit their website for more information:

Alternatively, you can contact them:

  • Mansfield Traquair Centre, 15 Mansfield Place, Edinburgh, EH3 6BB
  • Telephone: 0131 556 6443
  • Fax: 0131 550 9819
  • Email:


You must give the person permission to act on your behalf, and to show that has been given we ask that you complete a  Third Party Consent to Disclose Form. If you do not have printing facilities, we can post a form to you. Please contact us to organise this.

If you are having trouble putting your complaint into writing, or want this information in another language or format, such as large font or Braille, please contact us.


Return to the Corporate Complaints Procedure page.