Content Related Links
- Prejudice and Discrimination Reporting Form Aberdeen
- Grampian Employees Network
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender, LGBT Youth Scotland
- Registering a Civil Partnership in Scotland
- Stonewall Scotland
We are proud to be an LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) friendly employer and we work toward ensuring our city provides a welcoming, safe and positive environment for members of the LGBT community.
We developed an LGBT Action Plan in 2001, well ahead of legal protection against unlawful discrimination. All actions to promote LGBT equality are now being delivered through the Council Single Equality Scheme.
The LGBT community has identified the following needs:
- Addressing homophobic bullying and creating a safe and supportive environment in which young people can learn and develop.
- Training for staff to enable them to challenge false assumptions, explore homophobic attitudes and address discrimination.
- Freedom from harassment and intimidation, feeling safe in the community.
In addition, we are keen to improve the work place for our LGBT employees and have identified the following challenge:
- Improving our position on the Stonewall Diversity Champions Workplace Index.
We have been working in partnership with the community, LGBT youth group, Terrence Higgins Trust, Grampian Police and Grampian Fire and Rescue to promote sexual orientation equality through a range of initiatives e.g. LGBT History Month.
Communities, Housing and Infrastructure
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 11
2nd Floor West
Aberdeen, AB10 1AB
Telephone 01224 523039
Back to the Equality and Diversity home page.