Referendum on possible development of Union Terrace Gardens
1. A referendum will be held on Thursday 1 March 2012 to decide on the question below:
You are being asked to choose between retaining Union Terrace Gardens or replacing them with the proposed City Garden Project design.
(Please read the voter information pack before you vote to make sure that you understand what is meant by "retaining Union Terrace Gardens" and "the proposed City Garden Project design".)
Which option do you support?
- Retaining Union Terrace Gardens.
- The City Garden Project design.
2. The referendum will be conducted on an all postal basis. Voting packs will be issued around Thursday 16 February 2012 and to be counted ballot papers must be returned to the Counting Officer not later than 5.00 pm on Thursday 1 March 2012.
3. It may be that a facility to vote electronically will be provided. If this is the case, information will be contained within the voting pack.
4. Those entitled to vote at this referendum will be those listed in the Electoral Register as Local Government electors at a qualifying address within the City of Aberdeen and who will have attained the age of 18 on or before 30th November 2012. This means that those currently under the age of 18 but who are entitled to be included in the Register in force until November 2012 with a qualifying date against their names will be entitled to vote in the Referendum.
5. Qualified voters who are not yet on the Register and who wish to vote in the Referendum must apply to the Electoral Registration Officer at Woodhill House, Westburn Road, Aberdeen AB16 5GE. Applications must arrive not later than 5.00 pm on Tuesday 10 January 2012.
6. Voting packs will be sent to voters at their address as listed on the Register of Electors except where they have requested a different delivery address for postal votes. No arrangements for proxies will be made for this Referendum. Where a voter wishes a voting pack to be sent to an address other than his/her qualifying address, application should be made to the Electoral Registration Officer at the above address, not later than Tuesday 10 January 2012.
8. Application forms to register as a Campaigning Organisation can be obtained from the Counting Officer. Please write to The Counting Officer, 3rd Floor, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1FY, telephone 01224 522713 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed applications must be received by 5pm on Friday 13 January 2012.
9. Campaigning Organisations must complete a registration form which requires the signature of twenty persons, registered as Local Government electors within Aberdeen City. Successful applicants will be entitled to a 300 word submission within the postal ballot pack to be sent to all electors and an allocated attendance at the counting of votes. Where it appears to the Counting Officer that a number of prospective campaigning organisations represent substantially the same interest, he reserves the right to limit the number of statements enclosed with the voting pack.
- 15 December 2011
Crawford J. Langley
Printed and published by the Counting Officer, 3rd Floor, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1FY.