How can we help you...

Signing of Documents

When can I get documents signed?

A Councillor will be available to sign documents on a Monday between 2.00pm to 2.45pm and on a Thursday between 10.00am to 10.45am. No appointment necessary and this is free of charge.

We ask that you bring 2 pieces of identification along with you, these can be:

  • Passport
  • Driving License
  • Utility Bill

Please ensure that utility bills are no older than 6 months and show your current address on them.

What documents can Councillors sign?

  • Acting as a witness to the fact that the other person signed the document
  • Taking and authenticating by the Councillors signature, any written declaration (such declaration of change of name)
  • Giving a signed certificate of facts the Councillor knows to be true (such as a document is a true copy of an original or a photo is a true likeness
  • Giving a signed certificate of the Councillors opinion as to any matter (such as a person is fit and proper person to hold some office etc)

What can a Councillor not sign?

  • An affidavit or deposition (Anything taken on oath, i.e. sworn, affirmed or deponed)
  • Court Orders (i.e. warrants)

Are Councillors Justice of the Peace?

No, Councillors cannot sign anything that states it requires a Justice of the Peace. These documents can be signed at the sheriff court. Please contact 01224 657200.

Contact Us

Members Support

Town House

Broad Street


AB10 1FY

01224 523148



Back to Members Support Team home page