In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Content Related Links
Antisocial Behaviour OrdersASBOs are preventative court orders intended to protect people in the community affected by antisocial behaviour from further acts or conduct that would cause them alarm or distress. ASBOs prohibit, either indefinitely or for a specified period, a person from doing anything described in an order. Breach of an order is a criminal offence.
ASBOs have been in operation in Scotland for persons aged 16 or over since April 1999 under powers introduced by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. The Antisocial Behaviour etc. (Scotland) Act 2004 extended ASBOs to 12-15 year olds and introduced some changes to improve the effectiveness of the orders.
Local authorities and registered social landlords can make applications for ASBOs. ASBOs are not usually used as a 'first resort' to deal with antisocial behaviour and other remedies such as warnings and mediation are considered prior to making an application.
The Antisocial Behaviour etc (Scotland) Act 2004 introduced the power for a court to make an ASBO on conviction in a criminal court as part of a sentence.
- Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team
Housing and Environment
Aberdeen City Council
Community Safety Hub
1st Floor, Frederick Street Centre
Phone: 01224 219450 / 0845 606 6548
Frequently Asked Questions
- As a Council tenant, what can I do if I have a problem with my neighbour?
- How can I get an Antisocial Behaviour Order (ASBO) taken out against someone?
- If I make an allegation against my neighbour and the situation cannot be resolved, can I be rehoused?
- If someone is reported for antisocial behaviour, what action will be taken ?
- What action will be taken?
- What are my responsibilities for reporting antisocial behaviour?
- What are my responsibilities?
- What are my rights?
- What behaviours do Anti-Social Behaviour Orders cover?
- What can be done about a neighbour's persistent playing of loud music?
- What can be done about antisocial behaviour?
- What can be done about noise from commercial/licensed/industrial premises, agricultural activities, outside events etc?
- What can be done to stop my neighbour's dog constantly barking in their garden or within their house?
- What can I do about a dog persistently barking in a public place?
- What incident details are required to allow action against a problem neighbour to be taken?
- What is an Anti-Social Behaviour Order?
- What is antisocial behaviour?
- Who can apply to the court for an Anti-Social Behaviour Order?
- Who can help?