How can we help you...

Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team (ASBIT)

"All residents have a right to live peacefully in safe and secure communities."

The Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team aims is to help make sure that all citizens can live peacefully in safe and secure communities.  We will rigorously investigate antisocial behaviour complaints and always give residents affected by antisocial behaviour help and support to make them feel safer.

What is antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour is acting in a manner that causes or is likely to cause alarm and distress.  Noisy neighbours, threats and disorder are examples are examples of antisocial behaviour. 

Our services

Our services are available between 9am - 4am each day.  We provide:

  • A call-out service responding to antisocial behaviour complaints.
  • General advice and support to residents affected by antisocial social behaviour.
  • Proactive investigation of antisocial behaviour complaints.
  • Support for homeowners, private sector landlords and other agencies to deal with antisocial behaviour quickly and effectively.

We will gather evidence of antisocial behaviour and ensure that appropriate action is taken quickly so that antisocial behaviour stops.  We work with a wide range of services and communities to help ensure that effective solutions are delivered.  

How you can help

We all have a responsibility to report antisocial behaviour so that it can be stopped and respite offered to victims.  There is no point in suffering in silence.  We can only tackle antisocial behaviour if you tell us about it and how it is affecting your quality of life.

Everyone has a responsibility to treat their neighbours and others in the wider community with respect.  You should think carefully about noise within your own home and make sure that your neighbours aren't being disturbed by excessive noise.

Our enforcement powers

Most complaints can be dealt with effectively without the need to use enforcement measures.  Discussion and mediation can be very effective to stopping antisocial behaviour complaints.  However, we have enforcement options available to us which will use when these are required.

We can issue 'on the spot' warnings and fixed penalty notices to deal with noise nuisance from domestic homes.  When neighbours are causing unreasonable noise we can issue a formal warning notice.  If this warning is ignored and we have established that a noise nuisance exists, a fixed penalty notice for 100 may be served.  In some cases, we can seize the noise making equipment. 

We can also make applications for Antisocial Behaviour Orders (ASBOs). Antisocial Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) are preventative orders intended to protect people in the community affected by antisocial behaviour from further acts or conduct that would cause them alarm or distress. An ASBO is a court order which prohibits, either indefinitely or for a specified period, a person from doing anything described in the order.  Breach of an order is a criminal offence which can result in a fine and imprisonment.

Support for private sector landlords

The Antisocial Behaviour etc. (Scotland) Act 2004 makes requirements for private sector landlords to deal with antisocial behaviour happening in and around the properties that they rent.  The Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team will give appropriate expert support and assistance to help private sector landlords meet their statutory obligations.

Who else can help?

If you rent your home you can report problems with your neighbours to your landlord.  Council tenants should contact their local housing office.  Your landlord will be able to advise you on the steps that can be taken to stop the problem.  Antisocial behaviour which is not related to housing or which you consider to be serious should be reported to Grampian Police.

Useful Telephone Numbers

  • Castlehill Housing Association: 01224 625 822
  • Grampian Housing Association: 01224 202 900
  • Langstane Housing Association: 01224 42300
  • Tenants 1st Housing Co-operative: 01224 628 400
  • Police Scotland: 101
  • Victim Support: 01224 622 478
  • Aberdeen Community Mediation Service: 01224 560 570
  • Crimestoppers: 0800 555 111

Aberdeen City Council local housing offices: 

  • Tillydrone: 01224 489 516
  • Woodside Fountain Centre: 01224 524 940
  • Marischal College: 01224 523 753
  • Marischal College: 01224 522 031
  • Marischal College:  01224 522 029
  • Mastrick: 01224 788 503


Frequently Asked Questions