Free Internet, E-mail & Computer Access
We provide computing facilities through our bookable Public Access, Express Internet PCs and free Wi-fi service.
FREE Wireless Internet Access at Central Library and all Community Libraries. Library members can now use their laptops, PDAs and mobile phones to gain free, fast broadband connections to the internet at Central Library and all Community Libraries.
You'll need to be a library member to access this free service. If you're not a member, please ask the staff at your nearest library about how to join.
Public Access PCs
Each of the City libraries has PCs available for Public Access. Details of the various locations can be found on the Community Libraries in Aberdeen page. You must be a library member to use the bookable Public Access PCs. If you are already a member of the library you can book from home by entering your library card number and PIN on the Netloan Booking Facility page.
Details of facilities available in the Central Library are as follows:
The 19 Media Centre Public Access PCs (numbered 13-31) are free to use but may require booking in advance to ensure access. You can book up to 2 one-hour sessions per day. A PC is available in this area to make bookings. PCs 1-12 are only available when a College Class is not in progress.
The following software is available on PCs 1-12:
- Microsoft Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Publisher, Project, Outlook).
- Internet Explorer 8
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0
- Lunar Magnification Software
- Sony Picture Utility
- VideoLAN (Media Player Software
- Audacity (Digital Sound Conversion Programme)
- Video Disc Copier
- PMB - Motion Picture Browser ( Media Player and Editor)
- Logitech Quick Cam (Video/Web Cam software)
- Silverfast (Photography software)
- Flipshare (Video Editor/Organiser)
- Picasa 3.6
- Mozilla Firefox
- Yahoo Messenger
- Qicktime (Apple Games Software)
The following software is available on PCs 13-31:
- Excel 2010
- PowerPoint 2010
- Word 2010
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Shockwave Player
- Google Earth
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Picasa 3 (Photo management)
- Real Player
- Roxio Creator 3.3 (Disc burning)
- Windows Live Messenger
- Windows Media Player
- CD/DVD Burners & USB Ports are available on all PCs
- A floppy drive is available to hire
- A3 Scanners are available on PCs 19 & 29
- A4 Scanners are available on PCs 7, 24 & 25
PCs in Information Services
There are a number of Public Access PCs in the Information Services department of the Central Library. Whilst, in common with the Public Access PCs in the Media Centre above, they are available for general use, they are not bookable in advance and can only be signed on to by members directly for one hour per day. Their use in this way will count toward your overall allowance of 2 one-hour sessions per day.
- PC No. 2 is connected to an AverMedia Magnifier which enables documents to be enlarged onscreen.
- PC No. 7 has OmniPage Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software installed, is connected to an A4 Scanner and an external floppy drive.
To use these PCs for research purposes e.g. Family History, Company and Consumer Information, Funding searches, Job seeking etc., please consult staff on the floor who will facilitate access for you. Subject to your use being bona fide research and availability of machines, access will not be restricted to one hour and can be over and above your allocation for general use.
As elsewhere throughout the building, free WiFi is available with 4 isolated power sockets available.
Express Internet PCs
The Express Internet Service PCs provide free basic access to the Internet for a maximum period of 20 minutes per session and are located in the Adult Lending Department.
Prints are available from the enquiry desk for all PCs at 20p per sheet.
We also have USB sticks as well as CD & DVD discs available for purchase.
Back to Libraries home page.