In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Lending Services - Languages
A range of languages courses from beginners to advanced may be borrowed from the library. Many courses are compatible with your iPod and MP3 device. Formats available include:
- Playaways (a pre-loaded digital audio book, just plug in your headphones and play!)
Courses can be borrowed for four weeks for £1 (45p concession.)
Remember if the course you want is not available from your local branch you can get it sent directly to your branch by reserving it online through the library catalogue .
Fancy testing your knowledge about European Languages? Try this fun EU quiz: European Language Quiz
The library offers you online language learning from the comfort of your own home.
- Chooose from English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Dutch.
- Build upon and evaluate your reading, writing, speaking, listening and cultural skills.
- Wide variety of learning tools including speech recognition software.
How to use this resource:
- Quick and easy access once registered.
- Register and download the Auralog software- only required on first visit.
- Each registration activates a licence which will last for a year. Please do not .activate a licence if you do not wish to use the course.
- Microphone & speakers essential.
Language Learning Sites
If you would like to vary your language learning techniques here are a few web sites we would recommend:
- BBC Languages - a great site with a range of language learning activities and resources.
- Byki Language Courses - offers free language courses for beginners - needs to be downloaded.
- Icelandic Online
- Say something in Welsh
Online Dictionaries - By Language
- Chambers English Dictionary
- German-English Online Dictionary
- Norwegian-English Dictionary
- Pons Dictionaries
- Irish-English Dictionary
- Babelfish (translation engine)
- Google Translate (translation engine)
Online Dictionaries - Themed
- EU-specific terminology - Multilingual (For more information on the EU please refer to our Europe Direct Service)
- English-French Sailing Dictionary
Back to Libraries home page