In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Migrant Communities Information
The Migrant Communities Information Point is based within the Information Centre on the first floor of the Central Library.
What do we provide?
- Information on living, working and studying in Scotland, in several European languages
- Information on how to obtain UK Citizenship including the Official Guide and Practice Test Papers on CD which can be viewed in the Information Centre. We have recently acquired access to the GoCitizen resource (See below).
- Guides and Practice Papers for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Books and CDs.
- Access to the internet for the JobCentre Plus and Skills Development Scotland (replaces Careers Scotland) websites, and for compiling CVs
- Copies of all current job supplements
- A fax and photocopying service
- Access to the Community Contacts Directory
Information on countries within the European Union can also be obtained from the Europe Direct Centre which is located within the Information Centre. For more information go to our Europe Direct page.
United Kingdom Citizenship Test
These resources are available in the Central Library and all Branches or, with your library membership number, wherever you go online. Click on your chosen logo and proceed to free registration..
Nationality Checking Service
Aberdeen City Council offers a Nationality Checking Service, in partnership with the Home Office.
This allows anyone wishing to submit an application for British Citizenship to attend an appointment in Marischal College, at which their application will be checked and key documents verified and copied by a qualified member of staff, who will then forward the application, and payment, to the Home Office.
The service will be provided by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, and will operate out of Marischal College on an appointments only basis. Appointments are made by telephone, by calling 01224 522322.
Initial enquiries can be made at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting Aberdeen City Council Nationality Checking Service
Computer and Internet Facilities in Libraries
Public access computers are available in the Information Centre, the Media Centre and all Branch Libraries
The Information Centre computers can also be used for:
- Word processing
- Internet research
- Working with CD-based materials
- Accessing foreign-language newspapers online
- Job searching
- Scanning and printing (charges apply).
To use these computers you must first ask a member of staff to log you in.
Go to the Free Internet, E-mail & Computer Access page to see what is available for use in the Media Centre.
Aberdeen City Library's Digital Zone
We offer a range of online resources for adults and children which can be viewed by clicking on the logo above.. Some of these can be accessed remotely by members of the Library.
Services for Children and Young People
Young people of any age, from babies to young adults, are welcome to join the Childrens Library.
Facilities available include:
- Books, talking books, DVDs and videos for children
- Special events and activities
- Free computer use for internet access and CD-ROMs
- Information books to help with homework, hobbies and projects
- Bookbug, a national programme aimed at providing free books to all babies and children up to 5 years. Details can be found here Bookbug (formerly Bookstart)
- Dual language picture books in Polish, Russian, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Gaelic, Bengali, Chinese, Urdu and Japanese.
Related Pages from Information Services
- Careers Information including access to the sites:
Employment on Directgov (incorporates the former Jobcentre Plus)
Skills Development Scotland (replaces Careers Scotland)
- Europe Direct Part of the European Union network of Information Centres
- Grants and Funding Information
The UK Border Agency is an executive agency of the Home Office and is responsible for:
- Visas and Immigration: Information for Visiting,Studyingor Working in the UK and on Partners and Families
- British Citizenship:Eligibility, Applying, Right of Abode etc.
- Asylum: Claiming, Rights and responsibilities, Help and Advice
- Customs and Travel: Preparation, Entering the UK, Customs etc.
Click on the logo above to learn more on these and other functionsof the Agency.
Need to obtain or fill in a form? Go to UK Border Agency Form Finder
Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs: Coming to wotk in the UK Information and a downloadable (PDF) leaflet in 10 European languages
How to use the Health Service in Scotland
You can find clear, accurate information in 17 languages about how to use the health service in Scotland. You can watch videos, order a DVD or find out much more.
Useful Links: Other
Multi Ethnic Aberdeen Limited "We are committed to promoting cultural diversity, and raising awareness of the value of the ethnic individuals, business owners and organisations within Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, and North East Scotland".
GREC Grampian Regional Equality Council "is working with others to ensure that everyone is valued for who they are and is able to contribute with encouragement and without fear of discrimination or unfair treatment"
Polish Community in Aberdeen Forum / Polacy w Aberdeen - Zapraszamy na forum dyskusyjne.
An online forum for the Polish community in Aberdeen which offers classifieds, discussion, events information and advice.
The Scottish Romanian Society provides information and support for people of Romanian origin in Scotland and the promotion of cultural ties.
SLOVO Russian Education and Support Centre works for the preservation of Russian language and culture amongst the Russian community in Aberdeen and furthering ties in the community.
Foreigners in UK Sets out to be a one-stop portal covering all issues of everyday life for foreigners in the UK: news on immigration policies and law, key legislation and helpful guides, news from the various communities in the UK
- Migrant Communities Information Point
Tel: 01224 652511
Back to the Information Zone