In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
EUROPE DIRECT information centre - Aberdeen: Press Releases & Links
Press Releases - Current Month
17th April 2014 - New psychoactive substances: European Commission proposal gets green light from the European Parliament
In its last plenary session before the May 2014 European elections, the European Parliament gave its strong backing (ญญ507 in favour of the Regulation, 37 against and 33 abstentions) to the Commission's proposal to tackle rapidly emerging new psychoactive substances used as alternatives to illicit drugs. The new rules will equip the EU with a quicker and smarter system to protect the more than 2 million citizens in Europe taking pills or powders sold to them as 'legal'. Read Full Press Release
16th April 2014 - European Parliament approves new provisions for the return of national treasures
Today the European Parliament voted in favour of a new directive to help EU countries organise the return of cultural objects that were unlawfully removed from their state and are currently located in another EU country. Read Full Press Release
15th April 2014 - Pensions: Commission welcomes final adoption of Directive on supplementary pension rights
The European Commission welcomes the final adoption by the European Parliament of the Directive improving the protection of supplementary pension rights for mobile workers. The new rules will help to remove current obstacles to free movement, such as the requirement for very long periods of employment to acquire these rights or the risk of the rights being lost when leaving a pension scheme. Read Full Press Release
12th April 2014 - South Sudan: EU steps up efforts to prevent a humanitarian tragedy
Due to the rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation in South Sudan, the European Commission is ready to boost its live-saving assistance by 45 million to prevent an appalling tragedy in the country which is affecting the whole region. Read Full Press Release
10th April 2014 Travelling by air? Check if your carrier is safe on the Commission's new and user-friendly search tool for banned airlines, online today
The European Commission is launching today an online tool to search the list of airlines that are subject to an operating ban or operational restrictions within the European Union, better known as "the EU Air Safety List". With the new tool, finding information is easier, faster and more effective. Type in a country, an airline name, or an ICAO airline code and you will know whether or not an airline is on the EU Air Safety List. Read Full Press Release
4th April 2014 - Earth observation: Copernicus satellite lifts off successfully
Today's successful launch marks a major milestone for EU's Earth observation programme Copernicus. Sentinel 1A, the first satellite dedicated to the programme, was put into orbit after a successful launch at 23:02 on 3 April from Europe's spaceport at Kourou, French Guiana. Read Full Press Release
4th April 2014- The EU launches a new project to fight falsified medicines in developing countries
Ahead of World Health Day on April 7, the European Union has launched a new project which will support the fight against the production and the trafficking in falsified medicines in Cameroon, Ghana, Jordan, Morocco and Senegal, which are situated along two of the main routes for the production and trafficking in falsified medicines Read Full Press Release
3rd April 2014 - European Parliament votes to end roaming charges, expand consumer rights and make it easier to create better telecoms.
Today the European Parliament voted to end roaming charges by Christmas 2015, as part of a wider vote in support to the Commission's proposed regulation for a "Connected Continent" (telecoms single market). Read Full Press Release
Selected press releases from previous months
31st March 2014 - EU supporting consumers in their day-to-day life for just 5 cents
For just 5 cents per citizen a year, the European Union's consumer programme helps to help citizens fully enjoy their consumer rights and actively participate in the Single Market. The total budget for the programme is 188.8 million for 2014-2020. Read Full Press Release
27 March 2014 - State aid: Commission approves UK video games tax relief plan
The European Commission has concluded that UK plans to grant certain tax relief to producers of video games are in line with EU state aid rules. The Commission has found in particular that the measure provides incentives to developers to produce games meeting certain cultural criteria, in line with EU objectives. Read Full Press Release
25th March 2014 - Pushing for consumer safety. 10th anniversary of Europe's Rapid alert system on dangerous products
For 10 years the EU Rapid Information system (RAPEX) has been guarding European consumers against un-safe non-food products. In 2013 a total of 2,364 measures were taken by EU Member States. This figure indicates a 3.8% rise in alerts compared to 2012 and continues the increasing trend which has been apparent since the establishment of RAPEX in 2003. Read Full Press Release
12th March 2014 - Deal on Mackerel in the North-East Atlantic
The European Commission welcomes the five-year arrangement for mackerel in the North-East Atlantic, which was reached in London on 12 March between the EU, Faroe Islands and Norway. Read Full Press Release
11th March 2014 - EU provides 4 million to help refugees fleeing violence in Central African Republic
The European Commission will provide life-saving assistance to a hundred thousand victims of the violence in Central African Republic (CAR) who have been forced to flee to Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Cameroon.
The funding comes from the Commission's support of 45 million to CAR since the escalation of the crisis in December 2013. It will help the most vulnerable people seeking to meet their basic humanitarian needs including shelter, food, health, protection, water, sanitation and hygiene. Half of the funding will be spent in Chad, which is facing the biggest influx. Read Full Press Release
5th February 2014 - Parliament pushes for enforceable air passenger rights
Delayed or stranded air passengers would be likelier to win compensation, and airlines would get clear rules on how to deal with passenger complaints, under a draft law voted by Parliament at the first reading on Wednesday. Read Full Press Release
To view topics that the European Commission is currently consulting EU citizens about and to use "Your Voice in Europe" then please visit European Commission current consultations.
Useful Links: Other Pages from Information Services
Getting to Know the European Union
The Official website of the European Union
European Union in 12 Easy lessons
The History of the European Union
Calendar of the EU
Weekly Calendar for the Institutions of the EU
Have Your Say on the EU
- Debate Europe: Join the debate on Europe. The European Commission has relaunched its "Debate Europe" website where you can express your ideas, hopes and worries on topics such as energy and climate change, intercultural dialogue and the future of Europe. You can interact with other European citizens and occasionally with Commissioners who join the debate.
- EUtube: Europe in moving images. See the latest videos on European themes on "EUtube" - and give your comments or tell a friend
- EU Blogs For a personal, insider's view on EU affairs, try a Commissioner's blog. Several EU Commissioners have their own blogs as do some senior Commission staff in individual EU member countries.
Useful Links: European Union and Others
- European Parliament
- Enterprise Europe Network Help for businesses
- European Parliament in the UK
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If you are a UK resident & are a holder of anEHIC, you may be entitled to medical treatment that becomes necessary, at reduced cost or sometimes free, when temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Only treatment provided under the state scheme is covered.
How to apply for a card
- UK European Consumer Centre Information and support for consumers shopping across the EU.
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Generation Europe Foundation's creation in 1995 was based on a simple observation; that the young represent tomorrow's decision-makers who will live, work, consume and contribute to the economic and political fiber of the world in the years to come. For "Tomorrow's Citizens" from 9 to 29 years old.
- Study in Europe - A new European Commission website that provides up to date information to potential students on 32 European countries, their universities and what it takes to live and study in them.
- Who gets EU cash? This allows free access to details of who receives EU funds managed directly by the Commission and it's executive agencies. Presently covers 2007 to 2009.
- Europe Direct Information Centre - Aberdeen
Tel. 01224 649483
Fax 01224 624118
Back to the Europe Direct home page.