EUROPE DIRECT information centre - Aberdeen: Press Releases & Links
Press Releases - Current Month
10th September 2014 - Commission suspends emergency measures for perishable fruit and vegetables and will come forward with a more targeted scheme
The European Commission has today suspended the emergency market measures for perishable fruit and vegetable markets (worth 125 million ) announced on August 18 in the wake of the Russian measures banning imports of certain EU agricultural products. Read Full Press Release
8th September 2014 - Almost all Europeans say protecting the environment is important to them
Three years on from the most recent similar Eurobarometer survey, it is clear that, despite the economic crisis, Europeans' concern about the environment has not diminished. In an overwhelming consensus, 95% of the 28.000 interviewed citizens said that protecting the environment is important to them personally and many think more can be done. Read Full Press Release
8th September 2014 - How can we make the EU a better place for SMEs? Commission seeks your views
What do small and medium sized enterprises in Europe need from future EU policy? This is the core question of a consultation the Commission launched today to help upgrade the EU's Small Business Act (SBA). The SBA - a wide-ranging set of measures designed to make life easier for small companies - has already proved to be a good basis for SME policy. Read Full Press Release
5th September 2014 - Formation of Juncker Commission advances
President-elect Jean-Claude Juncker today sent the list of Commissioners-designate to Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi in his capacity as President of the Council of the European Union. Read Full Press Release
4th September 2014 - Innovative textiles to boost EU seaweed farming
Seaweed is an important but under-exploited resource for food and feed ingredients, biochemicals and the production of biofuels. But it has been difficult to harvest efficiently on a large scale. Until now. The EU-funded AT~SEA project has developed advanced textiles that give high yields from floating seaweed farms and allow easy, mechanised cultivation. Read Full Press Release
Selected press releases from previous months
29 August 2014 - Commissioner Piebalgs calls for a stronger partnership with Small Islands Developing States
EU Development Commissioner, Andris Piebalgs, will represent the EU at the UN Third International Conference on Small Islands Developing States (SIDS), organised in Samoa from 1 to 4 September. The event, which takes place every 10 years, will aim to put in the spotlight the significant challenges that these small islands face. The Commissioner will confirm EU's renewed commitment to address the special needs and vulnerabilities of SIDS. Read Full Press Release
28th August 2014 - Faster, more accurate flood warnings through EU research
Timely flood alerts and real-time monitoring of flood emergencies can save lives and prevent damage to property, infrastructure and the environment. Imprints, WeSenseIt and UrbanFlood are just three examples of EU-funded projects that have developed unique forecasting and alert systems to warn communities of impending floods. Read Full Press Release
21st August 2014 - Customs: Commission adopts strategy and action plan for better customs risk management
A new strategy to improve customs risk management, together with a detailed action plan, was adopted by the Commission today. Robust customs risk management is essential to protect the safety and security of the EU and its citizens, the interests of legitimate traders and EU financial interests, while at the same time enabling the smooth flow of trade. Read Full Press Release
11th August 2014 - EU-funded tool to help our brain deal with big data
Every single minute, the world generates 1.7 million billion bytes of data, equal to 360,000 DVDs. How can our brain deal with increasingly big and complex datasets? EU researchers are developing an interactive system which not only presents data the way you like it, but also changes the presentation constantly in order to prevent brain overload. Read Full Press Release
6th August 2014 - An app that helps you buy good food at the best price
Nothing to cook for dinner? While rushing to the supermarket, you will soon be able to consult the FoodLoop app and find the best offers close to you. This system made possible thanks to an EU-funded toolbox informs you if a product is reduced in price because the "best before" date is coming up. Read Full Press Release
4th August 2014 - GBP 100m for investment in new equipment by UK companies
Europe's long-term lending institution, the European Investment Bank, has agreed to provide GBP 100m to Societe Generale Equipment Finance to support investment by UK based small and medium sized companies over the next two years. Read Full Press Release
18th July 2014 - In-app purchases: Joint action by the European Commission and Member States is leading to better protection for consumers in online games
Following a large number of complaints in EU countries concerning in-app purchases in online games and in particular inadvertent purchases by children, national authorities joined forces with the European Commission to find solutions. Read Full Press Release
16th July 2014 - Study maps EU school food policies for the first time
As part of the European Commission's efforts to help reduce childhood obesity, the Commission's in-house science service, the Joint Research Centre (JRC), has published the first comprehensive report on school food policies in Europe. Read Full Press Release
To view topics that the European Commission is currently consulting EU citizens about and to use "Your Voice in Europe" then please visit European Commission current consultations.
Useful Links: Other Pages from Information Services
Getting to Know the European Union
The Official website of the European Union
European Union in 12 Easy lessons
The History of the European Union
Calendar of the EU
Weekly Calendar for the Institutions of the EU
Have Your Say on the EU
- Debate Europe: Join the debate on Europe. The European Commission has relaunched its "Debate Europe" website where you can express your ideas, hopes and worries on topics such as energy and climate change, intercultural dialogue and the future of Europe. You can interact with other European citizens and occasionally with Commissioners who join the debate.
- EUtube: Europe in moving images. See the latest videos on European themes on "EUtube" - and give your comments or tell a friend
- EU Blogs For a personal, insider's view on EU affairs, try a Commissioner's blog. Several EU Commissioners have their own blogs as do some senior Commission staff in individual EU member countries.
Useful Links: European Union and Others
- European Parliament
- Enterprise Europe Network Help for businesses
- European Parliament in the UK
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If you are a UK resident & are a holder of anEHIC, you may be entitled to medical treatment that becomes necessary, at reduced cost or sometimes free, when temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Only treatment provided under the state scheme is covered.
How to apply for a card
- UK European Consumer Centre Information and support for consumers shopping across the EU.
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Generation Europe Foundation's creation in 1995 was based on a simple observation; that the young represent tomorrow's decision-makers who will live, work, consume and contribute to the economic and political fiber of the world in the years to come. For "Tomorrow's Citizens" from 9 to 29 years old.
- Study in Europe - A new European Commission website that provides up to date information to potential students on 32 European countries, their universities and what it takes to live and study in them.
- Who gets EU cash? This allows free access to details of who receives EU funds managed directly by the Commission and it's executive agencies. Presently covers 2007 to 2009.
- Europe Direct Information Centre - Aberdeen
Tel. 01224 649483
Fax 01224 624118
Back to the Europe Direct home page.