In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
EUROPE DIRECT information centre - Aberdeen: Press Releases & Links
Press Releases - Current Month
28th February 2014 - Equal Pay Day: Gender Pay Gap Stagnates at 16.4% across Europe
European Commission Press release Brussels, 28 February 2014 Women in Europe still work 59 days 'for free' this is what the latest figures released today by the European Commission show. The gender pay gap the average difference between women and men's hourly earnings across the entire economy Read Full Press Release
20th February 2014 - Data protection: "Protecting citizens' rights always comes first"
NSA spying allegations, mass surveillance and data protection were all discussed when the Parliament's Facebook fans took part in a chat with British S&D Member Claude Moraes on Tuesday 18 February. Mr Moraes has written a report based on the inquiry launched by the Parliament last year after NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden revealed large scale monitoring by US authorities. "Protecting citizens´ rights always comes first," he said. "That is why we are here." Read Full Press Release
17th February 2014 - Roaming: 300 million extra customers for telecoms companies when roaming charges end, survey shows
6th February 2014 Lack of choice driving demand for film downloads
Nearly 70% of Europeans download or stream films for free, whether legally or illegally, according to a new European Commission study on audience behaviour. It also finds that 40% of smartphone owners and more than 60% of tablet owners watch films on their devices. The study finds that this is not surprising because, while the public takes a lot of interest in films as a whole, the nearest cinema is often some distance from them and the choice on screen is frequently rather limited. It suggests that the European film industry can increase revenues by exploiting different types of profit-making online platforms to increase the availability of films and reach new audiences. Read Full Press Release
6th February 2014 - Erasmus+ to boost student exchanges and partnerships between EU and Latin America
Students and academic staff from Latin America will have more opportunities to study or train in European universities thanks to increased support from Erasmus+, the new European funding programme for education, training, sport and youth. Read Full Press Release
5th February 2014 - Parliament pushes for enforceable air passenger rights
Delayed or stranded air passengers would be likelier to win compensation, and airlines would get clear rules on how to deal with passenger complaints, under a draft law voted by Parliament at the first reading on Wednesday. Read Full Press Release
Selected press releases from previous Months
13th January 2014 - Free movement: Commission publishes guide on application of Habitual Residence Test for social security
A practical guide on the 'Habitual Residence Test' to help Member States apply EU rules on the coordination of social security for EU citizens that have moved to another Member State has just been published by the European Commission. The new guide gives more clarity about the EU 'Habitual Residence Test' and will facilitate its application in practice by Member States' authorities Read Full Press Release
09 January 2014- December 2013: Economic Sentiment rises further in both the euro area and the EU
In December the Economic Sentiment Indicator (ESI) increased by 1.6 points in the euro area (to 100.0) and 1.4 points in the EU (to 103.5). Sentiment in the euro area is thus back to its long-term average for the first time since July 2011. In the EU, the average had already been passed in September. Read Full Details
08 January 2014- Europe strengthens its carbon market for a competitive low-carbon economy
The European Commission welcomes today's vote by EU governments gathered in the Climate Change Committee to postpone the sale of 900 million carbon allowances in the 3rd phase of the EU's Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) which runs up to 2020. This marks a key step in restoring the short term balance in the European carbon market and sets the stage for the proposal of a further structural measure shortly. Read Full Press Release
06 January 2014 - Presidency of the European Union
Greece will hold the Presidency of the European Union in the first half of 2014, before handing over reins to Italy on 1 July 2014. It is the fifth time that Greece will hold the EU Presidency since its accession to the European Communities in 1981. Official Website for the Greek Presidency
03 January 2014 - A successful start for the Euro changeover in Latvia
On 1 January 2014, Latvia adopted the euro as its official currency and the changeover is running smoothly and according to plan. The previous national currency the lat is now being phased out during a transitional two-week dual circulation period when both currencies have legal tender status. By the end of Thursday 2 January, 30 % of payments in shops were being made in euro only and 94 % of customers were getting their change in euro. No major problems were observed in banks or in the retail sector.Read Full Press Release
To view topics that the European Commission is currently consulting EU citizens about and to use "Your Voice in Europe" then please visit European Commission current consultations.
Useful Links: Other Pages from Information Services
Getting to Know the European Union
The Official website of the European Union
European Union in 12 Easy lessons
The History of the European Union
Calendar of the EU
Weekly Calendar for the Institutions of the EU
Have Your Say on the EU
- Debate Europe: Join the debate on Europe. The European Commission has relaunched its "Debate Europe" website where you can express your ideas, hopes and worries on topics such as energy and climate change, intercultural dialogue and the future of Europe. You can interact with other European citizens and occasionally with Commissioners who join the debate.
- EUtube: Europe in moving images. See the latest videos on European themes on "EUtube" - and give your comments or tell a friend
- EU Blogs For a personal, insider's view on EU affairs, try a Commissioner's blog. Several EU Commissioners have their own blogs as do some senior Commission staff in individual EU member countries.
Useful Links: European Union and Others
- European Parliament
- Enterprise Europe Network Help for businesses
- European Parliament in the UK
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If you are a UK resident & are a holder of anEHIC, you may be entitled to medical treatment that becomes necessary, at reduced cost or sometimes free, when temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Only treatment provided under the state scheme is covered.
How to apply for a card
- UK European Consumer Centre Information and support for consumers shopping across the EU.
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Generation Europe Foundation's creation in 1995 was based on a simple observation; that the young represent tomorrow's decision-makers who will live, work, consume and contribute to the economic and political fiber of the world in the years to come. For "Tomorrow's Citizens" from 9 to 29 years old.
- Study in Europe - A new European Commission website that provides up to date information to potential students on 32 European countries, their universities and what it takes to live and study in them.
- Who gets EU cash? This allows free access to details of who receives EU funds managed directly by the Commission and it's executive agencies. Presently covers 2007 to 2009.
- Europe Direct Information Centre - Aberdeen
Tel. 01224 649483
Fax 01224 624118
Back to the Europe Direct home page.