EUROPE DIRECT information centre - Aberdeen: Press Releases & Links
Press Releases - Current Month
18th July 2014 - In-app purchases: Joint action by the European Commission and Member States is leading to better protection for consumers in online games
Following a large number of complaints in EU countries concerning in-app purchases in online games and in particular inadvertent purchases by children, national authorities joined forces with the European Commission to find solutions. Read Full Press Release
17 July 2014 - Commission encourages re-use of public sector data
Today, the European Commission is publishing guidelines to help Member States benefit from the revised Directive on the re-use of public sector information (PSI Directive). Read Full Press Release
16th July 2014 - Study maps EU school food policies for the first time
As part of the European Commission's efforts to help reduce childhood obesity, the Commission's in-house science service, the Joint Research Centre (JRC), has published the first comprehensive report on school food policies in Europe. Read Full Press Release
15 July 2014 - Making the most of Europe's traditional know-how: Commission launches public consultation on the protection of geographical indications for non-agricultural products
The European Commission has today launched a Green Paper consultation on a possible extension of geographical indication protection to non-agricultural products. Read Full Press Release
14th July 2014 - Online gambling: Commission recommends principles to ensure effective protection of consumers
The European Commission has today adopted a Recommendation on online gambling services. It encourages Member States to pursue a high level of protection for consumers, players and minors through the adoption of principles for online gambling services and for responsible advertising and sponsorship of those services. Read Full Press Release
10th July 2014 - Erasmus 2012-13: the figures explained
The European Commission publishes new figures today on the number of students, teachers and other staff in higher education who benefitted from the Erasmus programme in the 2012-13 academic year Read Full Press Release
9th July 2014 - EU-industry partnerships seek innovation boost with first 1 billion for projects
Research partnerships between the EU, the private sector and Member States today presented their first calls for projects and partners under Horizon 2020, the EU's 80 billion research and innovation programme. Read Full Press Release
8th July 2014 - EU measures to tackle youth unemployment
The Youth Guarantee seeks to ensure that Member States make a good-quality offer to all young people up to age 25 a of a job, continued education, an apprenticeship or a traineeship within four months of leaving formal education or becoming unemployed. Read Full Press Release
8th July 2014 - Passenger rights: smartphone app upgraded for summer holidays
The Commission's free smartphone application for passenger rights has been upgraded just before the summer holidays to make it easy for all travellers to be informed about their rights in case something unexpected happens during their journey. Read Full Press Release
Selected press releases from previous months
17th June 2014 - Education and training is not up to the job, say quarter of Europeans in survey
A new Eurobarometer survey on the 'European Area of Skills and Qualifications' (Special Eurobarometer 417) shows also that around a quarter (23%) of EU citizens feel that their education or training has not provided them with the skills to find a job in line with their qualifications Read Full Press Release
13th June 2014 - Taking consumer rights into the digital age: over 507 million citizens will benefit as of today
Good news for Europe's more than 507 million consumers: as of today, new EU legislation will bolster their rights throughout the European Union. The new EU Consumer Rights Directive, which has now entered into force, strengthens consumers' rights wherever and whenever they shop in Europe online or on the high street. Read Full Press Release
13th June 2013 - Let's talk happiness beyond GDP
GDP (Gross Domestic Product) alone cannot indicate whether a country's population enjoys a good quality of life, as it takes no account either of environmental and sustainability standards or of distributive justice. This is the conclusion of this week's debate on "Let's talk happiness Beyond GDP... Read Full Press Release
6th June 2013 - New EU-funded tech: it's time for the plants to start talking back.
Scientists in Spain, Italy and the UK have developed a way to monitor the effect of climate change and pollution on the environment, by creating a special kind of plant which have in-built sensors. Read Full Press Release
27th May 2014 - Water quality excellent at most of Europe's bathing sites
The water at Europe's beaches, rivers and lakes was generally of high quality in 2013, with more than 95 % of these sites meeting minimum requirements. Coastal performed slightly better than inland bathing waters, the data shows... Read Full Press Release
To view topics that the European Commission is currently consulting EU citizens about and to use "Your Voice in Europe" then please visit European Commission current consultations.
Useful Links: Other Pages from Information Services
Getting to Know the European Union
The Official website of the European Union
European Union in 12 Easy lessons
The History of the European Union
Calendar of the EU
Weekly Calendar for the Institutions of the EU
Have Your Say on the EU
- Debate Europe: Join the debate on Europe. The European Commission has relaunched its "Debate Europe" website where you can express your ideas, hopes and worries on topics such as energy and climate change, intercultural dialogue and the future of Europe. You can interact with other European citizens and occasionally with Commissioners who join the debate.
- EUtube: Europe in moving images. See the latest videos on European themes on "EUtube" - and give your comments or tell a friend
- EU Blogs For a personal, insider's view on EU affairs, try a Commissioner's blog. Several EU Commissioners have their own blogs as do some senior Commission staff in individual EU member countries.
Useful Links: European Union and Others
- European Parliament
- Enterprise Europe Network Help for businesses
- European Parliament in the UK
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If you are a UK resident & are a holder of anEHIC, you may be entitled to medical treatment that becomes necessary, at reduced cost or sometimes free, when temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Only treatment provided under the state scheme is covered.
How to apply for a card
- UK European Consumer Centre Information and support for consumers shopping across the EU.
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Generation Europe Foundation's creation in 1995 was based on a simple observation; that the young represent tomorrow's decision-makers who will live, work, consume and contribute to the economic and political fiber of the world in the years to come. For "Tomorrow's Citizens" from 9 to 29 years old.
- Study in Europe - A new European Commission website that provides up to date information to potential students on 32 European countries, their universities and what it takes to live and study in them.
- Who gets EU cash? This allows free access to details of who receives EU funds managed directly by the Commission and it's executive agencies. Presently covers 2007 to 2009.
- Europe Direct Information Centre - Aberdeen
Tel. 01224 649483
Fax 01224 624118
Back to the Europe Direct home page.