In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Library Fines and Charges
Multi-Media Library (Over 12's only)
- 4 CDs 90p. per item (45p. Residents Card/Visitors Pass/Concession)
- 2 Language Courses £1.00. per item (50p. Residents Card/Visitors Pass/Concession)
- 4 DVDs or Blu-ray Discs £2.00 per item (£1.00 Residents Card/Visitors Pass/Concession)
- 2 DVD Box Sets (4 Discs +) £3.00 per item (£2.00 ResidentsCar/Visitors Pass/ Concession)
- A4 Black & White 10p.
- A3 Black & White 20p.
- A4 Colour 50p.
- A3 Colour £1.00
Note: Colour photocopying is only available at the Media Centre in the Central Library.
- Separate Charges apply. See Local Studies Charging Policy - April 2011 (PDF 92KB) for details.
- Hoover's Online:
Printed Company Report/s. Collected from library - 20p. per page
Posted - 20p. per page (£5.00 minimum charge)
Mailing lists: each Company name, address & telephone numbers only supplied at 5p, each. (£5.00 minimum charge)
View or download Hoover's Online Charges (PDF)
- Kompass Global Online:
Mailing lists including company names, addresses, contact details and executive names can be downloaded on your behalf at £0.05 per record (£5.00 minimum charge).
View Kompass Online Charges (PDF)
- Send within UK & Europe £1.20 for 1st. page; 60p. per page thereafter
- Send elsewhere £2.10 for 1st. page; £1.20 per page thereafter
- Receive £1.20 for 1st page, 30p. per page thereafter. (UK, Europe or elsewhere)
Note: Fax Services only available at the Information Centre in the Central Library and Kincorth Customer Access Point.
- Access Free
- Computer prints 20p. per A4 sheet (Black & White & Colour)
- 45p per week or part of a week - Items five weeks and more overdue £3.60 each.
- DVDs £2.00 per week or part of a week - Items five weeks and more overdue £10.00 each.
- DVD Box Sets £3.00 per week - Items five weeks and more overdue £15.00
- Language Courses £1.00 per week - Items five weeks and more overdue £5.00
- Book, Multi-Media items 50p. (concessions 20p)
- Under 16's Free (Children's material only)
Inter Library Loans
- Book or Journal Article Request: £5.00; Renewals £2.50
N.B. Fines £1.00 per day to maximum of £10 per item for books
- Orchestral Sets: £15.00; Renewals £7.50
N.B. Fines £2.00 per day to maximum of £20 for Orchestral Sets
Digital & Arts Equipment Lending Service
- Booking Fee £3.50 - £25.00 depending on item value.
- Extra days (requested at time of booking) charged at £2.00 per day. Fines £10 per day.
Note: Digital & Arts Equipment Service only available at the Media Centre, Central Library.
- Badge Components £6.00 per bag of 50
- CD-Rs 50p.
- CD-RWs £1.00
- DVD-Rs £1.00
- DVD-RWs £1.50
- Batteries 50p. each; £2.00 per pack
- Jute Bags £3.00
- Carrier bags 15p.
- Mini DVD-Rs £3.50
- Mini DVD-RWs £4.60
- USB Memory sticks (2GB) £3.50
- Headphones (Earbud) £3.50
- Headphone (Soft Ear) £2.50.
- Replacement of lost Membership Cards £2.00 (Adults) (£1.00 concessions)
- Postcards 30p. each or 4 for £1.00
- Lettercards 40p. each or 3 for £1.00
- Map Reproductions £1.50
A range of goods are also availablle in the Children's Department of the Central Library
- Adult Lending Library - Central Library
Tel: 01224 652501
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there charges for late return of materials?
- Yes there are charges for almost all items borrowed.
Are there toilets in the library?
- Yes. Please ask at the Adult Lending desk for details.
Can I use my Accord card to borrow books?
- Accord cards that have this facility activated can be used to borrow books.
Can you do an Access to Leisure application?
- Yes. We have trained staff at all libraries to help with this process.
Do you have Internet access?
- Yes. All our libraries provide this facility.
Do you have old newspapers?
- We stock a range of papers on microfilm and also can access via our internet subscriptions.
Do you have publications for sale?
- We sell postcards and other local collated materials.
Do you have resources for tracing family history?
- Yes. We have a range of resources including expert staff to assist you with such an enquiry.
Does the library provide training courses?
- We facilitate training through Aberdeen College. We also run a range of 'Go On' courses for people who are going online for the first time.
How can I access the library catalogue?
- Customers wishing to search our records can either come in personally, telephone to ask for a search or the catalogue can now be searched online clicking on this link to the Library Catalogue.
How do I join the Library?
- Visit the Central Library (or any local one) and ask to complete a membership voucher. A completed voucher must be signed and dated, accompanied by proof of identification. Adults (Guarantor) must show proof of address when joining their children.
How long can I borrow a library item?
- Books are normally loaned for 4 weeks, whilst audio-visual material is one to two weeks. For details about all items contact us at the Central Library.
How many books can I borrow at one time?
- Registered Adult borrowers can borrow up to 10 on their card.
What are the Central Library opening hours?
- The Central Library is open from 9am. to 8pm. on Monday & Wednesday and from 9am. to 5pm. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
What can I borrow?
- Adult membership (age 12 and over) entitles a borrower to the following; 10 books (incl. 6 audio books), 2 language courses, 4 CDs, 4 DVDs and 4 videos. Childrens membership (under 12s) includes; 10 books, 4 story tapes, 2 DVDs and 2 videos.
Back to the Libraries home page.