International street market returns to Aberdeen
The award-winning Aberdeen international street market returns to Union Terrace on Friday 02 November for its last visit of 2012.
The popular market will offer a huge selection of goods from around the world from 9am until 6pm on Friday 02 November, Saturday 03 November and Sunday 04 November.
This is the fourth market of the year and following the popularity of the previous markets an estimated 120,000 people are expected to visit the stalls over the three days.
Crafts and food from Europe, South America, Asia, the Caribbean, Australia, Africa will be available at more than 70 stalls, making it the ideal place to find unusual gifts especially in the run up to Christmas.The aromas and delights of the international cooked foods create the unique atmosphere which makes the market appealing to passers-by.
The market, which was voted the best in the UK in 2011, is managed and organised by Paris-based Groupe Géraud, Europe's largest street market operator, on behalf of Aberdeen City Council.
Tom Moore, city centre manager, Aberdeen City Council said: "Visitors will see many of the old favourites and some new stalls so there is something for everyone.It's also a great place to enjoy some international culinary delights."
In order for the popular market to be accommodated in the city centre the following traffic restrictions will be in place from 5am on Friday 02 November until 10pm on Sunday 04 November:
- Union Terrace will be closed between Union Street and Rosemount Viaduct, including the slip road between Rosemount Viaduct and Union Terrace;
- Diamond Place will be closed between Diamond Street and Union Terrace;
- There will be no parking on Union Terrace or the slip road between Rosemount Viaduct and Union Terrace (except market operatives vehicles);
- The right-turn ban for buses from Skene Street into Rosemount Viaduct will be suspended;
- A diversion route will be in place via Union Street, Broad Street, Upperkirkgate, Schoolhill and Rosemount Viaduct.
To provide parking for market operatives vehicles, the normal pay-and-display parking restrictions and operations will be suspended on both sides of the Beach Boulevard, between its junctions with Wales Street (north side) and Hanover Street to opposite the east junction of Wales Street (south side), from 5pm on Thursday 01 November until 9pm on Sunday 04 November 2012.
The diversion route for the closure will be via Union Street/Broad Street /Upperkirkgate / Schoolhill / Rosemount Viaduct or vice versa.
The three-day market will return to Aberdeen in 2013.
For further information contact Tom Moore, city centre manager, Aberdeen City Council on (01224) 523444 or 07743492203.