Organising A Visit To/From A Twin City
The Depute Mayor of Stavanger and Norwegian soprano join the Lord Provost to celebrate the lighting of the Castlegate Christmas Tree - an annual gift from the city of Stavanger to the citizens of Aberdeen
The International Partnerships Officer can assist with programming an itinerary, give travel advice and assistance and meet with inward delegation to Aberdeen to welcome them to the city. We welcome any ideas or suggestions where partnerships can be formed and there can be evident joint benefits for the parties involved.
Advice and Guidance for Twin City visits
- Start communications early and begin discussing ideas for the visit and project
- Ensure that you have the approval from their group, and Council if appropriate
- Double check everything as you go along with the planning and discussion. Don't be afraid to repeat a question or ask for more information as things can often be lost through translation
- Delegate a main and second contact from both sides and distribute information as much as you can within your group. This ensures, should an unexpected event occur, that there will always be someone to take over communications and leading the project
- If the country you are working with requires a visa, check with their Embassy and/or UK Border Agency which requirements and information are needed
- Ensure that all travellers have their own travel and medical insurance, and ask in advance if there are any medical conditions or allergies you should be aware of
- When travelling outwards, check your activities programme against your objectives. How realistic are they within your time scale and budget?
- If hosting an inward delegation, send a draft programme to them so they can make sure they are happy with the arrangements
- Whether travelling outwards or hosting visitors carry out a risk assessment to minimise any potential risks and have correct protocols in place should something go wrong
- Double check the accommodation, meal and transport arrangements in advance, and be sure to give yourselves and guests adequate time to relax as well as refreshment breaks during the day
The advice and guidance is a guideline only, but these measures should help with ensuring the smooth organising and running of the twin city project or visit.