Content Related Links
- Back to City Events Homepage
Christmas Lights Switch On Parade 2016
Sunday 27 November 2016
- The Lord Provost leads the colourful parade from Albyn Place, down Union Street to the Castlegate. This year's theme is Snow and Ice.
- Leading the parade will be Santa's on scooters, reindeers on Segways, a pipe band then a procession of floats including Santa. Many people will be dressed as festive characters walking along side the floats.
Bus Route Diversions
- see list of all First Christmas Lights Switch On Parade bus diversions
- Service 727 will divert A956 Virginia Street, Commerce Street, West North Street.
- Services 291, 60, 63, 67, 68, 61, 62, 290 will route via A956 Virginia Street,, Commerce Street, West North Street turning right onto King Street.
- Services 7, 7B, 7C, X6, X17, 201, 202, 203 will route via Guild Street, Bridge Street turning left on to Union Street.
- Service X18 will divert under Denburn Road.
Road Closures & Restrictions
Saturday 26 November
- From 6pm on Saturday 26 November and 6.30pm on 27 November Albyn Place, Aberdeen, will be subject to a ban on parking between Albyn Grove and Alford Place, except for vehicles associated with the Aberdeen City Council's Christmas Lights Switch On event.
Sunday 27 November
- Between 11.30am until 1pm on Union Street will be closed between, Union Terrace and Broad Street. Also between 11.30am and 1pm, and again from 4.30pm until 7pm King Street, Aberdeen, between East North Street and Castle Street, the full length of Castle Street, Aberdeen, will be closed, as will Market Street between Union Street and Hadden Street.
- Albyn Place, Aberdeen, will be closed between its junctions with Alford Place and Albyn Grove, from 4pm until 6.30pm.
- From 4.30pm until 7pm Back Wynd between its junctions with Union Street and Little Belmont Street, and also St. Catherine's Wynd, Aberdeen from its junction with Netherkirkgate and Union Street.
- From 4.30pm until 7pm the full length of Union Street and Bridge Street, between its junctions with Wapping Street, and Union Street will be closed. A number of alternative routes will be available.
- The one way restriction on Exchequer Row, Aberdeen and Shiprow from 11.30am and 1pm and again from 5pm until 7pm will be temporarily suspended.
- Between 11.30am and 1pm and again from 5pm until 6.30pm the ban on right turns from King Street onto West North Street will be temporarily suspended, as will the ban on right turns from Union Street, Aberdeen, onto Bridge Street and the right turns from Holburn Street, Aberdeen, onto Willowbank Road, and the right turns from Skene Street, Aberdeen, onto Rosemount Viaduct.
- On either side of Little Belmont Street, Aberdeen, with the exception of any waiting taxi, from 11.30am and 1pm and again from 5pm until 7pm. This is to provide a temporary taxi rank for this period.
- From 5pm until 7pm there will be a suspension of all waiting for any purpose, with the exception of any waiting taxi on the west side of Chapel Street, north of the junction with Thistle Street for 53 metres or thereby. This is to provide a temporary taxi rank for this period.
- From 5pm until 7pm the one way system on Chapel Street, Aberdeen, between its junctions with Thistle Street and Union Street, will be suspended and a one way restriction will be in place on Chapel Street, Aberdeen, between its junctions with Thistle Street and Little Chapel Street. The direction of travel will be northbound.
Photos from 2015 Parade
Should you require any further information regarding the Christmas Lights Switch-On Parade, please contact:
- Daniel Parrott, Events Officer, Aberdeen City Council, Town House, Broad St, Aberdeen, AB10 1AQ
- Tel: 01224 523842
Return to Aberdeen Winter Festival home page