"Progressive outdoor learning experiences are best delivered through a combination of school-based outdoor learning and residential programme".
Keith Brown MSP (Minister for skills and lifelong learning)
Cromdale Outdoor Centre is Adventure Aberdeen’s residential base on Speyside. Converted from a Victorian village school and schoolhouse it is located in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park. It is an attractive and comfortable centre that is available for group bookings. It is ideally located within easy reach of some of the most spectacular water and land based activity sites in Scotland. The base is perfect for all groups involved in outdoor activities or courses, and can be used for groups including: school excursions (all ages), sports or music camps, corporate groups, field studies, team development activities, or any combination of these. Cromdale can be used as an activity base for one of our residential programmes or hired privately.
- Fully wheelchair accessible.
- Large lounge with comfortable chairs, coffee tables, Widescreen LCD TV with Blu-ray DVD and radio.
- Large professionally equipped kitchen with gas range and disability access.
- Dining area leading through patio doors to decking area. Panoramic windows.
- 5 bunked dormitories with 4 to 12 beds in each room – 33 bed spaces.
- Two disability bedrooms with en-suite toilet and shower – 5 bed spaces.
- Large entrance hall and drying room, toilets and single cubicle showers
- Duvets, sheets, covers and pillowcases are all provided.
- Large BBQ.
- Connections to local hotel.
- Local dairy, butchers, bakers and groceries available near by at Grantown on Spey.
- Online deliveries available through Tesco and Asda.
- Fenced and secure outdoor grassed and hard surface areas.
- Co-located with community football pitches and large children’s playpark.
- Catering can be offered which uses local suppliers and produce where possible.
Cromdale Outdoor Centre
Cromdale is situated right in the heart of the Cairngorms, here you can experience the natural beauty of Speyside. From the outstanding waters and unusual wildlife to the towering mountains, this area is known for its breath-taking scenery. Step outside and be greeted by Scotland at its very best. Cromdale Centre is ideally based for a variety of outdoor activities and visits. Venues easily accessible from the centre include:
- The River Spey (300m from the centre) - access and egress for kayaks, canoes and white water rafts
- The Speyside Way (200m from the centre) - gentle and scenic walking and biking on waymarked trails.
- The Cromdale Hills (500m from centre) - excellent and extensive hill walking country with superb views of the Cairngorms and Speyside.
- Huntly’s Cave (7 miles) – superb rock climbing and abseiling venue.
- Bridge of Brown Gorge (10 miles) – one of Scotland’s premier gorge walking locations.
- The Lecht (21 miles) and Cairngorm Mountain (27 miles) - for fantastic ski-ing, downhill mountain biking and hill walking activities with ski-lift and funicular railway access.
- A multitude of venues for glen or hill walks – Adventure Aberdeen can provide guides and/or instruction.
- Official Forestry Commission Mountain Biking centres at Moray Monster Trails (20 miles) or Laggan Wolftrax (45 miles).
- Extensive off-road cycling within the Spey and Cairngorms areas – Adventure Aberdeen can provide guides and/or instruction.
- Aviemore and Carrbridge areas have many visitor attractions. The Aviemore tourist office or website can provide more details.
Each individual residential can be adapted to suit every group. Activities during residential stays can be organised through Adventure Aberdeen or independently.
Fully organised fixed-cost residential programmes are available for all ages and abilities. Applications are welcome from all schools and independent groups. Transport and catering costs are included and are of three to five days duration. Participants are encouraged to gain confidence by exploring new environments and undertaking challenging activities that build individual resilience and teamwork. Outdoor activities are organised for all days and some evenings. Please contact us for sample itineraries and costs. School programmes include the cost of parent, staff and pupil briefing and de-briefing school visits. These before and after visits incorporate presentations and team-building activities which aim to derive the most benefit from any planned residential.